HOW TO MAKE DAL MAKHANI AT HOME
Howdy! all. If someone ask me what is happiness according to me. I will say writing on personal food blog after a long time gives you the happiness that is unbeatable 😉
Today here I am sharing the recipe ‘Dal Makhani’ the Buttery Dal which melts in your mouth .. yum
According to Wikipedia, Dal Makhani originated from Punjab region of India and Pakistan. And its main ingredient is Urad Dal i.e. Whole Black Lentils and Rajma i.e. Kidney beans.
In early times preparing Dal Makhani is a time-consuming process as it requires lots of efforts. But with the advancement of techniques and evolution of Pressure Cooker has made this recipe an easy one.
I tried it for the first time at home and as a beginner of cooking this, I was appreciated by all.
So, today here I am sharing this buttery dal makhani recipe.
Ingredients Required: –
- Whole black urad dal – 250 gm
- Kidney beans (rajma) – 100 gm
- Water – 4 cup
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Onion – 2 medium
- Tomato – 3 medium
- Ginger – 1-inch piece
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2-3
- Asafoetida (Hing) – a pinch
- Kasturi methi – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili – 1 tsp ( or as per taste)
- Salt – 1/2 tsp (or as per taste)
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Milk Fat (Malai) – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 1/2 tbsp
- Soak overnight the black urad dal and kidney beans.
- In the morning wash it with plenty of water.
- Now take a pressure cooker and transfer lentils in it.
- Add 3 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook it till 3 whistles on high flame and 1 whistle on low flame.
- Off the flame and wait for pressure to release.
- Then, add 1 cup of water (I added 2 cups as per the consistency) and again pressure cooks it for 2 whistles on low flame. When you get this consistency, then its perfectly fine 🙂
- Off the flame and keep it aside.
- First of all, chop onions and make the puree of tomato with garlic and ginger.
- Now in a pan, heat oil add cumin seeds, bay leaves and Hing and crackle it.
- Saute onions in it till light brown.
- Add tomato puree and add spices for gravy. Add 1/2 cup of water and mix well.
- Cook the gravy till it leaves oil.
- Now add the gravy in the cooked dal and mix well.
- If required as per the consistency add a little water and make it boil.
- Now add milk fat (malai) and mix it well again.
- Boil it for next 10 min with stirring.
- Off the flame.
- Its ready to be served hot with Rice or Naan.