HOW TO MAKE TILKUT
According to wikipedia, Tilkut is a sweet savoury made in the Indian states of Bihar and Jharkhand. This is also known as “Tilkatri”. It is made of pounded ’tila’ or sesame seeds (Sesamum indicum) and jaggery or sugar. The best tilkut is said to be from Gaya.
Normally, three types of tilkuts are available — the sugar tilkut is white in colour, the sakkar tilkut is made of unrefined sugar and is light brown in colour and the gur tilkut is made of jaggery and is dark brown in colour. Each of these varieties have their own flavour. However, the white variety made of sugar is more popular and the popularity of the other two varieties is declining. The circular shaped savoury is called tilkut and the smaller nut-sized ones are called tillouri.
Winter is the period when sugar cane is harvested. It is also the period when large quantities of tilkut are made in many towns and even villages. However, as the demand persists throughout the year, smaller quantities are made round the year.
Tilkut is generally associated with Makar Sankranti, the harvest festival and eaten during this time.
In my home basically it is made with sugar. Sesame seeds (til) are little crunchy, nutty and have high nutritional benefits like have vitamin E which help in fighting diseases, fight diabetes, contain the highest amount of phytosterols, which are known to lower bad cholesterol.
So let’s prepare tilkut
Ingredients Required: –
- Sesame seeds – 1/2 kg
- Powered sugar – 1/2 kg
- Desi ghee – 50 gm
- First of all, clean the impurities if any in the sesame.
- Now in kadai, pour desi ghee heat it and add sesame seeds.
- With the help of spatula stir it so that it don’t stick to bottom.
- Cook the sesame seeds till they turn Light brown.
- Now off the flame and let the sesame seeds cool down at room temperature.
- Then, in grinder add the til and crush them.
- Now take them out in big bowl.
- Take the powered sugar.
- Add powered sugar in til and mix it well so that no lumps are there.
- Now it’s ready.
- Keep in air tight container and consume it.
- Eat it ! 🙂