HOW TO MAKE ALOO GOBI (FOR SPECIAL EVENTS)
Greetings from Nans Recipe for Karva chauth . This is a one day celebration in North-India by Women. In this married women fast from sunrise to moonrise for the safety and longevity of their husbands without having food and water for the whole day.
Some days before of this celebration, Women begin preparing for Karva Chauth a few days in advance, by buying cosmetics (shringar), traditional adornments or jewelry, and puja items, such as the Karva lamps, matthi, henna and the decorated puja thali (plate). Local bazaars take on a festive look as shopkeepers put their Karva Chauth related products on display
Like this women get their hands designed with MEHENDI
This festival celebrated differently at different places like in Punjab women wake up at 4a.m and have Sargi (mathi) which is given by their Mother-in-law.
For Karva chauth markets are flooded with designer earthen pots, Mehendi designings and Designer Clothes. 😉 Women buy clothes (especially it is believed they buy Red, Orange or like related colors) considered auspicious colors, get their hands designed with mehendi (heena) and do prayer. In the prayer they exchange Karva’s and sing some lines.
When moon rises in the sky, Wife drinks water from her husband hands and have a piece of sweet. After this, Family have dinner in which some special food is cooked. Here I am sharing one of them which is easy to cook and yum to eat.
So let’s prepare Aloo Gobi.
Ingredients Required: –
- Potatoes – 1/2 kg
- Cauliflower – 1/2 kg
- Green Peas – 250 gm
- Tomatoes – 3 medium sized (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Green chili – 2-3 (chopped)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Dried Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – to deep fry + 1/2 tbsp
- Fresh Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- First of all, peel the potatoes and slice them in length. Keep them in water so that they don’t turn Black
- Cut the cauliflower florets.
- Wash cauliflowers,green peas and potatoes with plenty of water.
- Now heat oil for deep fry in kadai or pan.
- In the meantime chop tomatoes, ginger and green chili.
- In the hot oil with caution fry potatoes and cauliflower one by one till brown.
- Then, fry green peas for 2-3 minutes.
- Off the flame of oil.
- Now in other pan, heat 1/2 tbsp of oil add cumin seeds, asafoetida.
- Now add the fried veggies i.e. potatoes, cauliflowers and green peas.
- Add tomatoes, green chili and ginger and cook for next 3-4 minutes.
- Now close the lid for 2 minutes.
- Open the lid and add fresh coriander leaves and mix well.
- Its ready to be served hot with chapatti , naan or puri.