Baingan ka Bharta
HOW TO MAKE BAINGAN (EGGPLANT) KA BHARTA
According to Wikipedia, Baingan ka bharta is a part of both national cuisines India and Pakistan.
Bharta comprises of minced vegetables and eggplant. In this eggplant is cooked on charcol or direct heat to give smoky taste.
Then this smoked eggplant (baingan) is cooked with coriander leaves, onions, garlic and tomatoes.
This is usually served with Indian flat-bread (parantha) or Rice.
While you buy an eggplant from the market make sure you buy a perfect one i.e. a big purple eggplant
So let’s prepare this …
Ingredients Required: –
- Eggplant (baingan) – 1 (big purple) (say of 200 – 250 gm)
- Onions – 4-5 (medium sized, chopped)
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves (chopped)
- Green chili – 2-3 (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (chopped)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Tomato – 3-4 medium sized (crushed)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dried coriander powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 2-3 tbsp
- Fresh coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- First of all, wash eggplant and keep it on flame to cook it till it turn black from outside.
- Keep it on low flame to cook it completely from inside.
- When it is cooked, transfer it to plate and cool it down at room temperature.
- In the mean while, take kadai and heat oil in it.
- Add cumin seeds, asafoetida and crackle it.
- Now add garlic, ginger and onion and cook it till brown.
- Then, add tomatoes and spices, salt and cook it on low flame till oil separates
- Now peel the black cover of eggplant.
- Peel the black part completely and check it pressing it with the help of spatula if any kind of impurity is there inside the eggplant.
- Then, add this mashed eggplant in the kadai.
- Cook it for 5-6 minutes on low flame and off the flame.
- Now, it is ready add coriander leaves and mix well.
- It’s ready to be served hot with chapatti or Rice.