Bottle gourd (ghiya)
HOW TO MAKE GHIYA
Bottle gourd is member of gourd family and as I wrote in my earlier recipes about the benefits of eating these gourd vegetables are endless. So, now some are listed benefits of eating bottle gourd :-
- If a person is on low calorie diet, should eat bottle gourd as it helps in reducing weight.
- Drinking bottle gourd juice once in morning will relief one’s body from strokes which usually arises in summers.
- Cooked bottle gourd relaxes the body but eating it raw can harm the intestine and stomach.
- It is also helpful in overcoming the disease like jaundice
- It has lot of water content, thus it relives individual from thirst and lose of water.
So, let’s make this vegetable and keep us disease free.
Ingredients Required: –
- Bottle gourd – 1 medium sized
- Onion – 1 medium (chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium (chopped)
- Bengal gram (chana daal) – 1/2 small cup (soaked for 1 hour)
- Green chili – 2 (crushed)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/4 tsp (or as per taste)
- Dried coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – 1/4 small cup
- Fresh coriander leaves – 1 tbsp (chopped)
- First of all, peel and cut bottle gourd in cubes and then, wash with plenty of water.
- Take pressure cooker and heat oil in it. Now, add cumin seeds, asafoetida and saute for 5-6 seconds.
- Now add onions and green chili, saute till onion turn pink. Then, add tomato followed by the spices and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now add, bottle gourd cubes , bengal gram and mix well. Add water and salt.
- Cook till soft and then off the flame and add lemon juice and mix well once again.
- It’s ready to served hot…
- Onion and tomatoes are optional. Bottle gourd can be prepared with out onion and tomato.