Langar ki daal
HOW TO MAKE LANGAR VALI DAAL
According to wikipedia, this is a typical punjabi dish. It is called langar ki daal beacuse of lovely reason which is that, it is made when there is Mahaprasad or get to gather in temples. It is prepared in huge amount, Langar is basically used when large quantity of food is prepared like in army, functions, e.t.c.
This is a very popular daal especially at dhabba’s in India and every where now-days. It is very easy to make and yum to eat. Despite of tast it has it have lots of proteins and nutrition as the lentils have. So let’s make this delicious daal.
Ingredients Required: –
- Black gram with skin (urad daal) – 1/2 cup
- Yellow lentil (chana daal) – 1/2 cup
- Red kidney beans (rajma) – 1/4 cup (soaked for 4-6 hours)
- Onion – 1 large (chopped)
- Green chilly – 2 (crushed)
- Tomato – 1 large (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (chopped)
- Garlic cloves – 3-4 (chopped)
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/4 tsp
- Dried coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Dried red chilly – 2
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Dried mango powder (amchoor) – 1 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Desi ghee – 1 tbsp
- Fresh coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Water – 5 cup
- First of all, wash both lentils (daal) with plenty of water and then transfer them in pressure cooker and rajma with 5 cup of water and little salt accompanied by 1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook it till soft.
- Heat oil in other pan and add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon followed by asafoetida.
- Now add ginger, green chilly, garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add onions and saute them till light brown.
- Then, add tomatoes and the spices and cook till little pulpy.
- Now transfer daal in the pan and cook.
- If required add little water to make smooth consistency.
- Now in the small pan heat desi ghee and add broken red chilly and off the flame.
- Now take out daal in serving dish and add the tempering (optional)
- Its ready…to be served hot with chapatti or naan.