HOW TO MAKE CHICKPEAS
There are many benefits of chick peas but the most important three are stated below i.e.
- It reduces the hunger as they are high in fiber and it low glycemic index and combination of these too reduces hunger and thus the weight.
- It reduces the cholesterol and so as the disease related to heart.
- It is high in protein and thus can be used with salads.
Ingredients Required: –
- Chick peas – 1 cup (soaked overnight with sweet soda)
- Onions – 2 medium sized (peeled and chopped)
- Tomatoes – 3 medium sized (pureed)
- Garlic – 4-6 cloves (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (crushed)
- Green chillies – 2 (chopped)
- Sweet soda – 1/4 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2-3
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – 1/2 tsp (use fresh made powder)
- Red chilly powder – 1/4 tsp (or as per taste)
- Dried coriander powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Anardana powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dried mango powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2 cup + 1 cup (if required)
- Fresh coriander leaves – 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Freshly powdered garam masala – 1/4 tsp
- First of all, add chickpeas in pressure cooker and add water (2 cup) followed by salt (1 tsp), oil (1/2 tbsp), turmeric powder (1/4 tsp), soda, bay leaves, cinnamon and cook till 1 whistles in which 2 on high flame and remaining on low flame.
- Off the flame and keep it aside till pressure releases.
- Then, take deep pan or kadai, heat oil in it. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, add onions, green chillies, garlic, ginger and saute till translucent (onions).
- Then add, tomato puree and add all species but not the dried mango powder, anardana powder, roasted cumin powder and garam masala (freshly powdered).
- Mix all the ingredients and low flame place lid and cook till oil separates.
- Then open the lid off pressure cooker as pressure must have been released now. So, now add dried mango powder, anardana powder, roasted cumin powder and garam masala (freshly powdered) in it and the mixture made by onion and tomatoes and take out the bay leaves and cinnamon.
- Mix it well and add water if required. If water is added and again for 5 minutes keep pressure cooker on high flame and then off the flame.
- Add fresh coriander leaves and it’s ready. Also it can be garnished with onion rings.
- Serve hot with chapati, Rice or Bhatura.
- You can also use chana masala which are now days available in market but while using it adjust quantity of above mentioned species.