How to make Basundi
Basundi is a very popular Gujarati sweet dish made with milk and lots of dry-fruits.
Ingredients Required: –
- Milk – 1 liter (full cream)
- Almond – 10-12 (chopped)
- Cashew nuts – 10-12 (chopped)
- Pistachios – 8-10 (chopped)
- Saffron – few strands
- Sugar – 5-6 tbsp (or as per taste)
- Green cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg powder – a pinch
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- First of all, take a large thick bottomed utensil and pour milk in it.
- Boil the milk with continuous stirring on low flame till half and make sure it does not stick to bottom or sides.
- Once the milk is reduced to half; add few strands of saffron (kesar) in it.
- Add chopped nuts and cook for 3-4 minutes and then add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
- Keep cooking this on low flame.
- Now add lemon juice with care in the milk as it provide a grainy texture to milk.
- Add sugar and turn off the flame.
- Serve it… hot or cold by garnishing with chopped nuts.
- Cook the milk till end on low flame.
- Adding nuts will make the milk thicker.
- By adding nutmeg and cardamom powder ; enhances the rich flavor.
- It attains thicker consistency on cooling.
- Gives a great taste after cooling.