HOW TO MAKE RAVA IDLI
Ingredients Required: –
- Semolina (suji) – 200 gm (1 ½ cup)
- Curd – 1 cup
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 5-10 leaves
- Cashew nuts-3-4 (cut in small)
- Groundnuts – 1 Tbsp
- Chana dal- 1 Tbsp (Roasted)
- Dry red chilly- 2 broken
- Water- ¼ cup + 2 glass
- Eno salt- 1 tsp
- Oil- for brushing + 1 tbsp
You can regardless of above ingredients use the MTR Rava Idli mix (readymade) available in the market.
Here I have used the MTR mix as my friends arrived at my home 😉 and I cooked instantly for them.
So for next time I will post it with fresh ingredients
- Firstly, take pan heat oil in it add mustard seeds and let them pop up. Now add dried red chilly and Urad dal and cook it till it turns light brown.
- Now add suji in the pan cook till it turns light brown. Don’t overcook it or burn it.
- Now take out sooji in a plate and let it cool for 10 minutes.Add sooji in it and add water so that no lumps are there. Then add cashew nuts, groundnuts, mustard seeds, curry leaves, roasted chana dal, salt and mix well.
- After that whisk curd in the large bowl and mix well.
- Allow the batter to rest for 20-30 minutes. And in the meanwhile grease the idli stand with oil and prepare the idli steamer.
- Add ENO fruit salt and mix well, the mixture will foam up and immediately pour mixture in idli trays and steam them for 15-16 minutes.
- With the help of fork check them, if fork comes out clear its ready then.
- Then take out the idli’s and cool them for 5 minutes and then scoop them out.
- It’s ready… serving them with sambhar and coconut chutney.
- If you have an Idli Stand, but no steamer, you can use any tall stock pot with a tight fitting lid. Another alternative is to use a Rice Cooker (your Idli Stand Should fit into it).
- After ENO has been added, Idlis must be steamed immediately. If you are making more than one batch, be sure to divide the roasted Sooji.
- Add the wet ingredients only to the amount which will fit in your Idli Stand at one time.
- For a prettier presentation, drop a thin slice of tomato and a cilantro leaf at the bottom of each idli indention before pouring in the batter on top. To save time for the future, you can make and keep the roasted dry Sooji mixture and keep it in refrigerator or freezer. Whenever you want to make, just add the wet ingredients.