HOW TO MAKE METHI SONTH
Ingredients Required: –
- Tamarind (imli) – 1 cup (soaked overnight in 2 cup water)
- Jaggery (gur) – 1 cup (crumbled)
- Black salt – ¾ tsp (or as per taste)
- Tata salt (regular salt) – ½ tsp (or as per taste)
- Dry palm date (chuara) – 5-8 (crushed)
- Raisins (kismis) – ¼ cup
- Degi mirch – 1 tsp
- Grapes – 5-6
- Cashew nuts – 5-7 (in two)
- Almonds – 5-8 (blanched)
- Dry coconut – ¼ cup (some cut in long and some grated)
- Puffed lotus seeds – 5- 10 piece
- Red chilly powder – ¼ tsp
- Black pepper – ¼ tsp (crushed)
- Green cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 ½ cup
- Oil – 1 ½ + 1 tbsp (for stir frying coconut)
- First of all, take the soaked tamarind and boil it with water and then, with help of drainer squeeze out pulp from it. But now-a-days ready made tamarind pulp is available in market you can also opt for it.
- Then add water in tamarind and drain them again.
- Now take a deep utensil and put the above mixture and add jaggery and mix it well till jaggery mix in it.
- On the other hand warm oil in deep pan and fry dry coconut pieces which are cut in long till light brown but oil should not be too warm (I was having coconut grated and pieces in jaggery, so I don’t did this)
- In between making it, add both type of salt, dry palm dates, red chilly powder, black pepper and fennel seeds and stir.
- Now add the almonds, puffed lotus seeds and mix well and add coconut and again stir. ( I am not using puffed lotus seeds and others things as I was having jaggery with all things and adding others things will make the taste bitter)
- Till the mixture thicken stir it and then add green cardamom powder, raisins, grapes and nuts which are optional.
- Off the flame let it cool down at room temperature and then serve it.
- It can be stored for 10-15 days in refrigerator.
- As when you add grapes there is a chance of getting adulterated, So you can add grapes while serving it.
- Instead of adding all nuts, extra things take the jaggery with the nuts and all the needed thing in it. I have used the jaggery instead of adding those nuts and other things.