Gajar ka halwa
How to make Gajar ka halwa
It is a calorie laden sweet dish and mostly prepared in winter season. As in India carrots are available in abundant in winter’s or it can be said that carrots in winter are seasonal and are sweet by nature. So, preparing this dish in winter have different taste as compared to that in summer.
In my view Indians are dessert loving people, that is the only reason India comes in top 10 countries who consume maximum sugar 😛 .
Thus, lets prepare this lovely sweet halwa.
Ingredients required: –
- Carrots -1 kg
- Sugar -1 cup (250 gm)
- Almonds -¼ cup (crushed)
- Milk fat (malai) – 2 tbsp
- Khoya -1 cup (200 gm)
- Silver leaf -2
- Desi ghee -3 tbsp
- Wash and peel the carrots and then grate them.
- In a deep pan (say kadai) transfer the grated carrots and keep it on high flame.
- Cook grated carrots till tender and soft. Stir it in between so that it do not stick to bottom
- You will notice the sizzling sound of water in carrots is reduced with the cooking it.
- Now add grated khoya in it and mix well. Cook it on the lower flame
- Add malai in it to give creamy texture and mix well
- Let it cook on lower flame till the sizzling sound lessen.
- Add sugar in it and cook it on low flame.
- Stir it till sizzling sound stops.
- Add desi ghee and once more mix well on low flame.
- Off the flame and cover it with lid for 5 minutes
- Add some crushed almonds and mix well.
- Now serve it hot and garnish with almonds and khoya.
- When you off the flame at the end, remove the mixture (halwa) from center of kadai as it can stick there at bottom because this place is more hot as to the sides of kadai.